Natural Carpet Refresher
- 2 Tall 8 oz. Plastic Bail Jars
- 2 cups Baking Soda
- ¼ cup Washing Soda (laundry aisle of grocery stores)
- ¼ cup Cornstarch
- 3 mL Lavender Essential Oil
- 3 mL Lemongrass Essential Oil
- In a mixing bowl, add the baking soda and washing soda. Washing soda can cause skin irritation, so we recommend wearing gloves and long sleeves when working with it. It can also irritate the nose and throat, so you can wear a mask if you like. If necessary, sift the baking soda through a fine mesh strainer to remove any clumps.
- Add the cornstarch and mix the powders together.
- Add the lemongrass and lavender essential oils and use a whisk or your hands to thoroughly mix the oils into the dry powders. Place the mixture into jars to store. When you’re ready to use, sprinkle a small amount of the powder onto your carpet or rug. Allow the mixture to sit for 5-10 minutes to help absorb odors. Make sure children and pets are nowhere near the area, as the mixture could be irritating if it comes in contact with the skin or if it’s ingested. Then, thoroughly vacuum the carpet to suck up the powder.
You may want to test the mixture on a small area of the rug or carpet to be sure you are happy with the results.
Thank you BrambleBerry.com (Soap Queen) and ThePrairieHomestead.com for these recipes.